Saturday, December 17, 2005

Zest to learn

From Rob on 43 things:
Rob42 things
become a polymath
I'm thinking of altering this goal. — 11 weeks ago
There is much more I want to study than Philosophy. Someday I will read Nietzsche, and the works of other Philosophers (I would like to ask Paolo for a good place to start).
I would also like to learn some Classical History (perhaps you can point me in the right direction, Zhaneta?). I’ve read some tantalizing bits of works by Aristotle and Plato, but I want to read more. I want to know more about the Greeks and the Roman Empire.
I want to learn more about Eastern Philosophy/History/Religions. The history of China and India must be fascinating, or so I would like to think from the tiny amount that I know of them. I want to read Sun Tzu. I know something of Japanese history, but not nearly enough.
I want to learn more Science. Physics, especially. I would like to be able to understand Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity and String Theory. I will never stop learning Physics, but I want to know more about Astronomy, Biology (Evolution especially), Chemistry and Mathematics. Mathematics is something that is very interesting to me, but it cannot compete with Physics when it comes to drawing my attention. However, I would like to learn as much abstract mathematics as I can. Riemannian Geometry is something that I would like to learn more about. One day, one very distant day, I would like to be able to say, with a straight face that I understand Wiles’ proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem.
I would like to learn more about the world’s many and various cultures, their countries and languages also. People fascinate me, particularily “unusual” people. I don’t mean unusual in any kind of negative sense, merely people that are different from the kind of people that I encounter in day to day life. Foreign people are an example of what I mean, but not the only example that I can think of. Being an eccentric, I am naturally attracted to other eccentrics.
I would like to learn more about life. There are some things that you cannot learn by reading books or doing feverish calculations. Life, for instance. I need to get out there and experience it. I envy the free spirit who goes where s/he wants when s/he pleases. Love, also. I envy people who wear their heart on their sleeve. I wish I could be spontaneous instead of worrying about what the consequences might be. I think this kind of learning is what differentiates between knowledge and wisdom.
Almost all of my goals involve learning in some way; either directly or indirectly. I would like to argue that almost everyone on 43Things is the same. I’m going to change this goal to “Become a Polymath”.
I want to die with a smile on my face and a mind full of knowledge. If I can gain some wisdom while accumulating that knowledge, I am certain that I will be smiling when my time comes as I will know that I have lived a good life.

1 Comments:

Blogger suzanne said...

Wow, you are a wonderful person. I wish more people were like you in the United States/the World. I'm sure you'll acheive the many things that you want to acheive.

-suzannecakefrom43things

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|