Sunday, October 02, 2005

Gandhi and his relevance

Every year on 2nd October,we in India celebrate the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.It is a National holiday.Newspapers and magazines publish special articles on gandhi.Political leaders give speeches.There are seminars and debates all over.There is an official expectation of festivity on this day. I ask myself:Is Gandhi dead in India, or is anything of him is still left here?
I see violence all around me.I see communalism everywhere.Materialism has grown and I find people running after money.Political leaders have become thoroughly corrupt and I hardly see any sense of idealism or public service in them or in any one else.Truth is sacrificed for petty considerations while Gandhi stood for truth and non-violence.India has lost the spirit and soul of Gandhi.
I find myself sliding into a deep depression.Why do we have to be such hypocrites?

5 Comments:

Blogger lifeherb said...

PRESS RELEASE: ABOUT THE BEST WORK FROM HOME PROSPECT AND WHY LISTED ON GOOGLE AND YAHOO NEWS ABOUT THE LINK BELOW work from home

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a work from home site. It pretty much covers work from home opportunities.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Adrian

4:49 AM  
Blogger CHANGING TIMES said...

i agree that in today's India polity there is no relevance of Gandhism. However by celebrating Gandhi Jayanti, though reluctunctly, we remember his idealism and practiced values, which he followed in his life time for getting India's independence.Alas, we could get atleast a few Gandhian type politicians in our political system.Even in our civil society this kind of breed is very rare to find so why to blame only politicians.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Godsdragon said...

I did a research paper on Ghandi when I was in college many moons ago... It fascinates me to think of all the power in meditation and ahimsa...

11:05 AM  
Blogger Godsdragon said...

I also studied Economics as if people mattered...Well, that is what I got out of my education...
I read a book that really was great about Ghandian Economics (written by EF Shoemaker---Small is Beautiful)
In a nutshell, using intermediate technology so as to have a better percentage numbers for full employment so as to employ the greatest number of people to aid economic growth and progress...

11:08 AM  
Blogger anandsharma said...

Changingtimes:Thanx.But somehow i am not comfortable with the way we treat Gandhi these days.
Godsdragon:I found many of your goals on 43 things worth following.Small is beautiful ,was beautiful;i will take it out and read again.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|